Saturday, January 10, 2015

Quick Note - Windows 8.1 Corrupt OS Disk - Take 2

Here is another take on accessing the data on the corrupt Windows 8.1 BitLocker secured drive.

SystemResuceCd to boot the system from.

Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive from an ISO file.

ddrescue to create a image of the deivce.  I used an external USB drive so that when I was done with the image I could easily move the drive with the image to a working system.

Vhdtool to convert the image created by ddrescue to VHD format so it can be mounted under Windows.  You need to rename the image after running the program to .vhd.  Source on github.

Windows Disk Management to mount the VHD file as a drive.

You are prompted for the BitLocker password key.

Drive may require fixing.  Mine did and it took a long time.

Thanks to Andy at cobaltfish.com for the posting that I created my process from.

No comments: