Monday, December 29, 2014

pcDuino3 Nano - Webgui Install and Setup

This is another in the series documenting my setup of a new home server with the Linksprite pcDuino3 Nano.  A listing for the entire series can be found here.  More information on the pcDuino3 Nano can be found at Linksprite’s website and the pcDuino website.

As I outlined in yesterday’s post I have decided to proceed with creating my own bundle of software for my new home server.  One of my requirements is that I would like a web interface that I can manage the system with.  After some research I decided to use Webmin.

To install Webmin I followed the Debian instructions on the Webmin website.  I started by making sure all the dependencies were installed.

root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libpam-runtime is already the newest version.
openssl is already the newest version.
perl is already the newest version.
perl set to manually installed.
python is already the newest version.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libapt-pkg-perl libopts25
Suggested packages:
  ntp-doc apparmor
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  apt-show-versions libapt-pkg-perl libauthen-pam-perl libio-pty-perl
  libnet-ssleay-perl libopts25
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 978 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2531 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

<messages removed to save space>

Setting up libauthen-pam-perl (0.16-2build2) ...
Setting up libio-pty-perl (1:1.08-1build2) ...
Setting up libnet-ssleay-perl (1.42-1build1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Once all of the dependencies were installed I downloaded the installation package using wget and installed it using dpkg.

root@ubuntu:~# wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.720_all.deb
--2014-12-29 15:27:23--  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.720_all.deb

<messages removed to save space>

Connecting to superb-dca2.dl.sourceforge.net (superb-dca2.dl.sourceforge.net)|209.61.193.20|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 21976258 (21M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `webmin_1.720_all.deb'

100%[======================================>] 21,976,258  2.73M/s   in 14s

2014-12-29 15:27:37 (1.47 MB/s) - `webmin_1.720_all.deb' saved [21976258/21976258]

root@ubuntu:~# dpkg --install webmin_1.720_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package webmin.
(Reading database ... 64220 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking webmin (from webmin_1.720_all.deb) ...
Setting up webmin (1.720) ...
Webmin install complete. You can now login to
https://ubuntu:10000/
as root with your root password, or as any user who can use sudo
to run commands as root.
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

As you can see the installation is pretty simple.  Once dpkg completed I connected via my web browser to the ip address of the server using port 10000 and logged in as root.

1 comment:

Giandomenico Plaino said...

Hi Man!

I have to be totally grateful to you because thanks to your site I was able to bring back to life my old pcduino3 :-)

Your instructions were really good and I got to know the wheezly and especially armbian distributions!!!

Thank you thank you thank you! All the best!